Friday, July 13, 2007

MySpace: Tom is my only friend! :(

Well...I plunged into the world of MySpace today. I have been a Facebook user (yes "user", because it did feel like an addiction at first!) for a couple of months now and found it really user-friendly and easy to get started. I had no problems finding people I knew and "friending" them. In fact, I am in awe of how many people I know are on Facebook and how easy it is to find them!

MySpace? No one. Tom (the creator, who is automatically your friend) is my ONLY friend. I am officially a MySpace loser. *Sigh.*

Perhaps it's because less people seem to be using their full names? Perhaps it's because my network of friends has ended up on Facebook because of invites from people already on there (that's how I ended up joining)? Or perhaps my entire network of friends just fits the educated, middle-class Facebook stereotype, as discussed in a recent Globe and Mail article? Am I too old and "mainstream" to be on MySpace? Their description of MySpace as Las Vegas and Facebook as Ikea doesn't seem completely crazy...Facebook does feel more organized, less blazing colour...

So, if you are on MySpace, be my friend: www.myspace.com/jmcint6
Tom is great and all, but....

2 comments:

Alexandra said...

Hi Joanne,

You are too funny. I haven't tried to join My Space. I guess I haven't really felt the need because all of my friends seem to be on Facebook. I wonder if My Space users are mostly younger people (highschool and elementary students?). Is My Space still popular or is Facebook taking over?

amanda said...

Hi Joanne - I think your point about all your friends being on facebook is an important one: friends go where friends are. Which partially accounts for why certain groups gravitate to certain sites.