Friday, July 20, 2007

Libraries OSN - Case Studies

I liked this one: Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh's MySpace...and this one: Glendale Public Library's MySpace!

Glendale has that uber-busy, Las Vegas-esque MySpace quality that I find overwhelming, but seems to be norm in MySpace world. However, both do well to provide useful info in the standard, fun, chatty format...Glendale has tons of friends, and Carnegie (while I couldn't find the friend count) quite a few comments. It seems like both have quite a bit of traffic...traffic from actual patrons? I thought so. I think they are get ways to market library services...especially considering the cost is free!

I also really liked the UWO one. It is a great example of how useful it is to share information across of group of people with common interests...this, to me, represents the best of OSN. You can glean information from people in similar situations despite not personally knowing anyone in that environment. I've seen students that are coming to FIMS this fall asking questions about the program and housing on the UWO-FIMS Facebook group. What a great way to get information!!!

Even if libraries find that actually being on networks and attempting to encourage patrons to interact with the libray via networks doesn't work for their user populations, perhaps they can best serve their patrons by helping them search for useful networks and provide links to them...I think this would be of value! Sort of a Reader's Advisory to blogs, groups, and networks:

PATRON: Like, I'm going to Western? In the fall? And I need to find a place to live? Do you have like a map or something?

SAVVY LIBRARIAN: Why yes, of course I have maps and some classified ads, but you could also check out this online group about housing around Western. It will give you the inside scoop about where is good to live...

Hmmm....

3 comments:

Alexandra said...

Hi Joanne,

I also thought that UWO's online social network was really useful. I did wonder how people found out about the site because this is now my fifth year at Western and I had never heard of it. I think that your idea regarding libraries promoting these sites is really great. I'm sure it would be much appreciated by students, especially first years and new grad students.

Alexandra

Jill said...

I agree that sites like the UWO social network--need to be advertised!

Gerry said...

I also feel that the UWO network, and any other network for that matter, needs to be advertised. Build it and they will come, just isn't going to happen. Bookmarks, outreach, teen participation, and a few public meetings might be in order to introduce and publicize a library network to the community.