Thursday, July 26, 2007

Virtual Worlds.

Van Eck argues convincingly for the use of gaming in learning. His thoughts on careful evaluation of the game and how to integrate it with more traditional learning (i.e. teaming the "build a roller coaster" game with a physics class) suggest that these games, if chosen and used well, can add true value to a students' learning experience. He also points out that today's "Net Generation" learns differently than its predecessors as they

"require multiple streams of information, prefer inductive reasoning, want frequent and quick interactions with content, and have exceptional visual literacy skills".

I begin to wonder if it is not long (or is it already now!?!) before the classroom environment that I grew up with is as outdated and ineffective as my parent's school experience (rote memorization, slide rulers) seems to me.

Squire & Steinkuehler highlight a great example of how collaborative learning is happening in online gaming communities. I have to admit that I knew that these multi-player games were huge, but I had no idea that there was such a scholarly community that had developed around it. I was impressed by the gaming 'university' that was created and the methods in which learning happened: saving your game every 40 turns, commenting on it and submitting it for discussion? Cool. I also note that they have completely broken down the teacher/student dynamic and, while Squire & Steinkuehler point out that there are still experts that are recogninized as knowledgeable and are well-respected, anyone can contribute and the teacher/student line is quite blurred. How does this impact our own concepts of authority and evaluation criteria?

Certainly, I have noticed how the resources I am using for this course are quite different from those I am using for others: blogs are a significant and totally acceptable format. In fact, because this is such an evolving topic, these formats perhaps function much better than more traditional publishing because they are more current and interactive, ideal for fostering discussion on emerging topics.

I agree whole-heartedly with Levine's statement about the importance of understanding these virtual worlds.Let's pay attention and make use of this new technology now while it is still young, rather wait until it is so ubiquitous that we are "forced" to start using it, and we have had no impact on how it developed.

Jenkins highlights arguments that Second Life is over-hyped, pointing out how that we are unlikely to ever "go completely virtual" as virtual world connections and socializations often echo real life ones. Really, when I sign up for Second Life, I will immediately hunt for people that I know in real life.

I am at my parents' place with a dial-up connection (I KNOW!!) today so am not even going to attempt to finish signing up for Second Life until later...look for me though!
My name will be Sherman Lundquist.

BTW - I'm not gonna lie: The Shifted Librarian article actually made me consider the purchase of a Playstation for a moment. Inconceivable! (said, of course, in the lispy manner of The Princess Bride's Sicilian. Hmmm...perhaps I'll model my avatar after him.)

2 comments:

Qingyi said...

I totally agree with you. I was also amazed that a scholarly community had developed around a game. Personally I have no experience on this, but I would like to try these games and how it works.

Joanne said...

Yes - pretty neat, eh? I think I will do some serious "gaming research" once I finish the term. I am totally intrigued!